To the noble Shaykh Muhammad Ibn `Uthaimeen - may Allah Almighty
preserve him: Television has penetrated the confines of virtually all
homes, whether in cities, villages, or even in the desert. The shows
that are aired consist, at least to some extent, of the following:
I) Singing accompanied by musical instruments.
2) Police and criminal dramas.
3) Untrue and made-up stories.
4) Mixing of the sexes among actors.
5) Portrayal of historical Islamic figures as being evil or corrupt.
6) Glorification of marital deception and unfaithfulness.
7) Practically naked women, sometimes playing the part of a singer or a prostitute.
8) Interspersed between what has preceded, the Qur'an and the Prophet's sayings are recited.
9) Actors portray the Prophet's Companions, may Allah be pleased with them.
The Qur'an station presents religious shows that are far better than
what other television stations present. Here are my questions?
- If we know these things, then is it permissible to bring televisions
into our homes, where our women and children will watch them, thus
disturbing their perception of truth and falsehood?
- Is it permissible, when watching television, to look at women and at some men whose appearance is not in the least bit manly?
- What must a person do who persists in keeping a television set or who says that he cannot remove it from his home?
- What about a man who says that he finds it impossible to turn off his television when music or women appear?
- Are the shows I described above in concordance with the Shai'ah?
- Is it permissible for men and women, in general, to watch the programs
I described? May Allah Almighty bless you with a correct and satisfying
Tags : television